2nd National Confederate Flag Nylon Embroidered 3 x 5 ft.
Also called the “Stainless Banner”
used from May 1863 to March 1865
After public opinion deemed that the first Confederate Flag too closely resembled the flag used by the United States, this new flag was adopted by the Confederate Government.
Its incorporation of the Confederate Battle flag (from the Army of Virginia) was meant to be in tribute to the valor of the Confederate fighting man. It had 13 stars – one for each member state of the Confederacy.
The white background was intended to show the purity of the cause of the Confederacy.
One of the first uses of this flag was to drape the coffin of southern General Stonewall Jackson who died in mid-may 1863. Due to this it was sometimes referred to as the “Jackson flag”.
This flag was discontinued in 1865 and a new Third Confederate flag adopted when it was decided that it too often resembled a flag of truce in light wind.